Later that day we had an Ice Cream Social in the school cafeteria. It was just for Kindergartners so there were 3 classes worth of Kindergartners plus siblings and parents and the 3 Kinder teachers. It was great to get to meet Mrs. A and see his class list but Will was a bit overwhelmed with all the people. He wouldn't leave my side and had no interest in venturing out to say hi to the kids he already knew. So, W, G, RJ and I just sat on the floor in a circle and ate ice cream together. Before I knew it, the 3 of them were playing together. Part of me felt the need to encourage/force Will to be with the other Kidnergartners but I couldn't get myself to do it b/c it brought me such joy to see them all playing together. I LOVE that they LOVE to play with each other...and I'm sure the day might come when he won't be so fond of being with his brother and sister when school friends are around. So, I guess it wasn't much of an ice cream "Social" for us but it was still fun and good to be up at HIS school and meet HIS teacher! He really wanted to see HIS class but it was locked so we walked by it and made sure he would be able to get there easily on Monday!
It's interesting, but my usually independent and confident Will has slowly been sticking closer and closer by my side over the last few weeks. It's not a whole lot different from how I am feeling, to be honest. Just a new circle of friends and a new normal...out of the comfort zone for us routine-lovers! I'm calling it a healthy dose of nervousness. I know he is going to do great and I think he'll be a different kid when he's got the first week under his belt. For now, I'm treasuring having my side-kick a little more under foot...though I still feel like he's just slipping right through my fingers.
BTW, this morning he woke up at 9:00 (note the clock)...how in the world are we going to make it getting there, dressed, fed and ready to go at 7:50?!?!
No comments:
Post a Comment